- do they have opinions about software engineering?
- are those opinions sensible?
- do those opinions conflict too strongly with our existing team?
- do they really want to make good software?
- do they really want to make the software we are making?
- are they interested in users?
- do they bring skills we don’t already have?
- do they have the self discipline to work effectively within a team?
- do they have the self discipline to make good quality software?
- is their personality such that will they work effectively within our team?
- are they creative and clever and self-motivated to apply it?
- do they have good negotiation skills?
- can they explain themselves clearly?
- can they learn something quickly? (do they listen to others?)
- do they know how to learn in the medium and long term?
- are they honest and insightful about the limits of their own knowledge and abilities?
- do they know what they can do already?
- do they know what they can’t do yet?
- are they willing to tell me what they can’t do yet?
- are they trying to blag?
- are they self-motivated?
- do they have something they want to achieve from working?
(money, status, skills, friends, fun, whatever)?
- do they like to share what skills they have with others?
- do they understand what a start-up is (in business terms)?
- do they understand what a start-up needs?
- do they understand the risks of a start-up?